Catholic Church abuse movie “Spotlight” was named best picture, the top award at Sunday’s Oscar ceremony, reports Reuters’ Jill Serjeant, after an evening peppered with pointed punchlines from host Chris Rock about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy that has dominated the industry. … read our stories and photo essay, ‘Spotlight’ wins top Oscar amid night of race-related critiques
F&O’s Oscars package, Focus on Hollywood, includes:
- Picture this: the 2016 Oscars
- ‘Spotlight’ wins top Oscar amid race-related critiques
JILL SERJEANT Arts Report
- ‘Spotlight’ Gets Investigative Journalism Right,
STEPHEN ENGELBERG Review
- Bridge of Spies’: True Story Even Stranger Than Fiction
TIM WEINER Report
- Disneyfied Star Wars an iconic kids’ flick.
PENNEY KOME Review
- Spectre: James Bond in an age of cybersecurity.
JOSEPH OLDHAM Arts report
- Sicario: a movie that haunts
SEBASTIAN ROSELLA Arts Report
- What Frankenstein and Krampus tell us.
NATALIE LAWRENCE Column
- The Martian — and Robinson Crusoe
- Deepa Mehta: pushing boundaries with Beeba Boys
PENNEY KOME : OVER EASY Column
Last but not least … if only the the unvarnished Facts grab you, here are the winners:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The 88th Academy Awards, the highest honours in the movie industry, were handed out a ceremony in Hollywood on Sunday hosted by comedian Chris Rock.
Following is a list of winners in key categories for the awards, also known as the Oscars.
- BEST PICTURE
- BEST DIRECTOR
- Alejandro Iñárritu, “The Revenant”
- BEST ACTOR
- Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Revenant”
- BEST ACTRESS
- Brie Larson, “Room”
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Mark Rylance, “Bridge of Spies”
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Alicia Vikander, “The Danish Girl”
- BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
- BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- “The Big Short”
- BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
- “Inside Out”
- BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
- BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
- “Son of Saul” Hungary
- BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
- “The Hateful Eight” Ennio Morricone
- BEST ORIGINAL SONG
- “Writing’s On The Wall” from “Spectre”
(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Mary Milliken and Sandra Maler)
Reader-Supported Facts and Opinions is employee-owned and ad-free. We survive on an honour system. Thanks for your interest and support. Details.